Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Funny Valentine

Well here we are again.
My second valentine's day as a single woman.

Last Valentines day was pretty amazing. My parents had just left from visiting and I got to have an amazing show with the lovely ladies of Vagina Monologues. It was a really fun show to do and I felt so much love from my friends and cast members! I had left over cookies and wore red lipstick and just felt really good.

I am similarly looking forward this Valentine's day. I'm not looking forward to the long day of classes, but to baking cupcakes. Which I get to bring to an amazing event with Jewish Women of Ohio where we are having a sex talk with our Rabbi. Then I get to go to yoga and cook dinner for my best friend. I know I'm probably not her first choice in a valentine (her boyfriend of 5 years is unfortunately in another state for their anniversary/valentines day (if you don't know that story click here ) but I'm honored and excited to fill the role this year. You see, for me, I couldn't pick a better Valentine than my best friend Leah. She is honestly the most beautiful human being I've ever met. In every way. She constantly inspires me to be a better person. I wish I could return to her all the things she's done for me, but that would be impossible. So for now I just try and do all I can to make sure she is happy, because more than anyone she truly deserves that.


So clearly I'm looking forward to spending time with people I truly love and who care about me.

But lets be honest. Valentine's day also goes by the name "Singles Awareness Day" and as more and more of my friends are pairing off, I am increasingly aware of my single-dom. It isn't a bad thing. Sometimes I like not having to shave my legs for months, or being able to spend ample time alone (and yes on the internet). I do however become self-concious every once and awhile. What is it that I'm doing wrong that I can't also find a mate? Thats a loaded question. I'll figure it out eventually.


This brings me to one of the main focuses of this post. Is it outdated to set up your friends? When I was recently describing my situation of being a habitual fifth wheel, I was asked if any of my friends had ever tried to set me up before. I thought about this. No, they hadn't. I mean I had asked, sort of jokingly, but in my head not so much. I think they all thought I was joking. I began to think as I watched a few television shows recently with friends and relatives setting each other up on dates, is this practice outdated, or can my friends really not find someone for me? If the later is true, does that mean I won't be able to find someone for myself either? I mean not even my Jewish grandmother has tried to set me up with anyone. Am I that un-fix-up-able? Who knows, maybe it is a dated practice this day and age, maybe I should just look to the internet.

Well I'm not sure, and this has turned into more of a pity party than I intened. After all, I have my valentine and then some! I also have my new phone after my last one met a freak accident with Leah's car door. I'm finding more that I love about myself, except for maybe the fact that I can't get a date. Oh well.

Oh yeah! And I'm on a health kick. Hoping this one will be longterm. I found out I have some health issues that were worse than I thought. So here's to my many work outs with Leah and kale with eggbeaters! :)

So happy Valentine's Day, Single's Awareness Day or Thursday. I hope you have a great one filled with love and wellness. Mine will be splendid.

I'll be spending it as (always) The Queer Jewess.

No comments:

Post a Comment